Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Gratitude: A Computer and Knowing How To Use It

Me and my trusty PC.
Today, I am grateful for:

The computer skills I have. No, I'm not a techie, but I can often figure things out, even when they're broken. I know where to find competent help when I can't do the job.

I handle PhotoShop fairly well, though not on a professional level, and I have put together several Shutterfly books in the "Custom" mode, which means they look pretty dang good. I edit my own photographs and am a much more accomplished photographer than BPS (Before PhotoShop).

The computer modifies many of the skills I have developed over the years, both professional and personal. I am a much better reporter, for example, than in pre-Google days. I type faster because of the computer, and I was no slouch before (125 wpm on the computer, about 75 wpm on a standard typewriter). I can write close to the speed I can formulate sentences.

Today, I broke down and did what so many people I know have suggested I do for years: I bought a Mac. A little one, 13.5 inches that will be portable in Europe. Now, I have to learn how to use it between now and time to fly over the big water.

Development of the computer's offerings is, of course, proceeding at warp speed and I'm riding a computer bicycle, so to speak, but the effect is still there. It could not be otherwis. And for that I thank those who have spent so much time and effort in development and delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment