Saturday, March 3, 2012

From Limbaugh, a Non-Apology Apology

OK, so do we see an apology in here from Rush Limbaugh, who swears this is an apology, issued today? 

"For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week.  In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

"I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

None of this, of course, was influenced by the fact that Limbulb's (as in Dim Bulb) advertisers are deserting him in droves, nor that this is not about sexual activity, Ms. Fluke's or anybody else's. It is about women's health and access to medications necessary to maintain that. Birth control pills are used for far more purposes than the name indicates and that was her point in testimony. 

Maureen Dowd of the NYTimes summed it up nicely: "He said insuring contraception would represent another 'welfare entitlement,' which is wrong — tax dollars would not provide the benefit, employers and insurance companies would. And women would not be getting paid just 'to have sex.' They’d be getting insurance coverage toward the roughly $1,000 annual expense of trying to avoid unwanted pregnancies and abortions, and to control other health conditions. This is something men and conservatives should want too, and not just because those outcomes actually do cost taxpayers money."

 Limbaugh has attempted to make this about morality. He, of all people preaching morality. Sheesh. 

(Cartoon Dick Kulpa here)

No comments:

Post a Comment