Saturday, April 5, 2014

Throwback Thursday (on Saturday): Dad at 10

This is one of my favorite photos of my dad because of what it says of him at the age of 10 in 1915.

His mom (a real Irish battleax named Mary Elizabeth Gervin Smith who hated my mother because she wasn't wealthy, as Grandma was) doted on her blond-haired eldest child. She made special preparations for school photo day by dressing George in his best Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. George had other ideas, according to my mother.

Look at his knuckles for evidence of playing marbles in the dirt and his lower lip for a sure sign of conflict with another student. And look at that cowlick. I had one of those when I was a kid, though my hair was never as long as Dad's at that age.

I'd say he was a handsome, robust young man with piercing green eyes. Later played football at Virginia Tech and earned his bachelor's in business administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment