Thursday, April 24, 2014

Throwback Thursday: For a Shining Moment

That's me and my favorite ex-wife Christina relaxing on the porch of the Main Building at Hollins University, housing the Green Drawing Room where our wedding reception had just been held, August 19, 2000. We were tired and taking a moment to reflect before flying off to Oregon and our honeymoon. From the look on Christina's face, I'd say marital indigestion was on the way.

Anyhow, an explanation of the socks is forthcoming. Christina's mom, Kitty Koomen, whom I adore then and now, is a stickler for form. When she found out I was wearing a tuxedo for an 11 a.m. wedding, she nearly had a mild heart attack. So, I thought, "Let's make this good." My son, who was my best man, and I went to a soccer store and bought the brightest orange socks we could find and as I walked down the aisle, I hiked my pants as I passed Kitty. She nearly knocked me over by laughing. Didn't expect that.

It was a great wedding. The marriage not so much. But Christina remains a valued friend and that's something to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment