Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Brisk, Physical Early-Season Hike up Read Mountain

Water and moss on one of the many rocks along the trail.
The trail meanders into and out of rocks.
Sometimes it's nicely tailored.
Janeson finds the stairwell.
Pampa rests by a blazed tree.
Sign says "view," but I couldn't find it.
A tree with mumps.
This is as good as the view gets.
Another view of the view of development in the Bonsack area.
Janeson relaxes behind a tiny falling brook off her elbow.
Editr selfie at one of the pretty rocks.
My hiking buddy Janeson Keeley and I took Kurt Rheinheimer's advice today and hiked up Read Mountain on the Roanoke-Botetourt County line. It's a good, uphill, rocky climb of about four miles (longer if you get lost, as we did) and a nice early season condition hike.

I was impressed at how well-groomed the trail is, even some tricky rock maneuvering. It comes out at Buzzard's Rock on the ridge above Bonsack on one side and another valley near Hollins, I think, on the other side. I recommend the hike. Fun and physical, though the views aren't a lot to write home about, even on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment