Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Champion Wolverines, 1966 Asheville Football Association

In 1966, I was a 20-year-old sports writer (two years into it) at the Asheville Citizen-Times and was looking for something vigorous to do with the little spare time I had, so I started the Asheville Flag Football Association. This is our team, the Wolverines, featuring a bunch of guys looking a lot older than we were (I'm front row, far right, playing with Bill Pace's knee).

You'll note that my hair is actually combed over, the first time in my life that was possible. I'd always had a crew cut before, a flattop for most of that time. I will note that, hair and all, we won the league, undefeated, playing at Asheville City Stadium, a 7,000-seat facility that we didn't exactly  fill up, but enjoyed it as if we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment