Friday, August 23, 2013

Photo of the Day: What the Hell Do You Do With Figs?

I picked these figs from my bush, which must have 250-300 more in various stages, but the problem is the one I always have: what the hell do you do with a fig, other than put it in a salad? Any suggestions--without sugar--welcomed.

We had a fig bush (tree?) when I was a kid and we used the figs in our slingshots when we played war. Made a spectacular splash when they hit, especially when they were a bit beyond ripe. Mom never did approve of having to wash my clothes after a fig war, though.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the figs my grandma had back in Beaumont TX. For some reason as a youngster, I was not much of a fan of any fresh fruit, but figs looked gross and smelled gross. She made them into fig preserves which were brown and gross looking.

    I always went with the Welch's grape jelly.

    As I aged I learned to like what she called her "fig pie" which was really more like a dense cake with a fig filling - sort of like a giant Fig Newton.

    But that did not answer your question did it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a good use! I had a container of something called ALPHA-OMEGA from the deli at the co-op - it is a mixture of kamut (a Middle Eastern wheat), cranberries, sunflower seeds, peas, carrots, onions, peppers, parsley and garlic, with vinegar, lemon juice and oil. I added a handful of chunks of cold rotisserie chicken, and then added several cut-up fresh figs (FROM YOUR TREE HAHA). The figs added a nice tasty sweet counterbalance to all the savory tastes. I would do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a good use for figs (from your tree HAHA)!

    Had a container of something from the deli at the co-op called ALPHA-OMEGA SALAD. It has these ingredients: kamut (a Middle Eastern wheat grain), cranberries, sunflower seeds, peas, carrots, onions, peppers, parsley and garlic, with vinegar, oil and lemon juice. I added a handful of chunks of cold rotisserie chicken, then added several chopped up fresh figs.

    The figs added a nice balance to the savory tastes - I would do that again!

    ReplyDelete