Sunday, August 18, 2013

Photo Essay: A Short Hike Up North Mountain

I timed this shot, ran back to Leah, nearly knocked her off the cliff (bruising her head), turned around and got a blurry shot. Yay, me!
This is why you hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains. No other excuse accepted.
Leah posing for her college yearbook (kinda).
Leah and Meah took a saunter up to North Mountain in--I think--Rockbridge County yesterday and confirmed that this is one of the most beautiful places on Earth's surface (I cannot speak for the interior).

It's not so much of a hike because we drove to the ridge that runs along the entire spine of the mountain for miles and you can see off both sides, which we did. There are several hiking trails, the best of which is Cock's Comb, that give spectacular panoramic views of the valleys on each side of the ridge.

My new pal Debora Dolin told me about the mountain. It's a gorgeous hike and hell, no, I ain't tellin' you where it is. We want it to ourselves. Heh, heh, heh ...
Fat editr poses for his slice of cheesecake with Lake Robinson in the background.
We had sassafras tea when we got home.
Leah shot this well-lit draw going to the top of the mountain.
Leah shot this one, too. I like it. Studly, huh?
Butterflies are free on the mountain.
This is the only official, man-made overlook we found and Leah dressed it up.
When a man's gotta go, a man's gotta go.
Heading down the mountain.
Leah climbing up Cock's Comb.
One last look at this spectacular view.

No comments:

Post a Comment