Saturday, April 28, 2012

Can Karen Kwaitkowski Be Part of the Solution?

Karen Kwaitkowski and me outside Panara Bread a little while ago.
Finally got a chance this afternoon to sit and chat with Karen Kwaitkowski, the Republican primary candidate in the 6th District who wants Bob Goodlatte's seat, one he's held for more than 20 years.

Karen is Tea Party/Libertarian and pretty close to my opposite on most issues, but I like her personally and I think she's honest, courageous and forthright, so if I were voting in the primary, she'd get my vote. In the general election, she probably wouldn't get that vote, but she's such an underdog that I doubt that will be a choice.

Karen's a Shenandoah County farmer and a former career military officer (she was in the Pentagon on 9/11 and has quite an interesting perspective). I first became interested in her because of some of her libertarian positions, which I share from the other end of the political spectrum--she's anti-war, for example.

I was taken with her enthusiasm, her willingness to hear the other side and her certainty. Karen and I can talk to each other. I like that, even though our political beliefs are far, far apart. That's something we've lost with our Congress and I am of a mind that everybody who has served in the past 10 years must be voted out of office and replaced with people who will discuss issues, compromise and move the country to where it should be. Karen and I agreed that it doesn't look like that is going to happen and without it, the future is bleak. But here's an opportunity for us all to take a first step toward being part of the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment