Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Popeye Would Just Love This Dish

Oh my, we have a little treat for you from Mother Smith's World Famous Kitchen, one I whipped up in my head while exercising (and starving) a while ago. Came home, cooked it and it's just dandy.

It's called Mother Smith's Popeye Surprise and here's what you need:

1 box of frozen chopped spinach
1 can diced tomatoes
2 whole green onions diced
1/2 cup jack cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella
1 boil-in bag of rice (I use brown because of diabetes, but you can use white if you want)
1 pinch basil (Oh, hell, no I don't know what a pinch is; my mother always said "a pinch" and I mean "some")
1 diced clove garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces of hearts of palm slivered (this optional and it's for showing off)

Boil the rice about half the time recommended on the box. It'll need to cook more as part of the whole dish in the oven, which you're pre-heating to 350 degrees. Defrost the spinach (I zapped mine in the microwave). Mix the spinach, rice, drained tomatoes, onions, cheeses, spices and olive oil in a casserole dish. Sprinkle a thin layer of additional mozzarella on top and place pieces of palm heart strategically (to show off; palm hearts are eaten alive with cool).

Put the dish in the oven for about 30 minutes and serve it hot with something good like grilled salmon. This one's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment