Friday, November 7, 2008

Unexpected Pleasures


Commercial and institutional food services generally leave a lot to be desired for people like me who are either old or diabetic or have other food limitations, so it's especially gratifying to find a decent meal at something like a civic center. Today I'm at the Ecology Expo at the Roanoke Civic Center and lunch is on the house, courtesy of the Civic Center's caterer, Encore Catering by Ovations Food Services.

The photo here is of the roast beef on whole wheat. Earlier, I ate a turkey on wheat and reluctantly bypassed a veggie on wheat. This one even goes to the length of including fresh lettuce and tomato. Frankly, I thought the caterer was the Roanoke Valley Natural Foods Cooperative because of the quality and sensitivity of the fare, but my wife, who works for the City of Roanoke's PR department and knows these things, set me straight.

Roanoke has done a good thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment