|"Moonrise Kingdom" had all the charm in 2012.|
On the down side, I was astonished that "Beasts of the Southern Wild" was a big favorite among these boys. It was one of the two worst movies I saw in 2012 (the second being "Lay Miz"). But, hey, it's the differences of opinion that make this all interesting.
|"Silver Linings Playbook" was a delightful surprise.|
The favorites for these critics:
- Kathryn Begelow ("Zero Dark") and Michael Haneke ("Amour") were named on all three lists for director;
- "Amour" and "Zero Dark Thirty" were unanimous as top movies;
- Joaquin Pheonix ("The Master"), Jean Louis-Trintignant ("Amour") and Denzel Washington ("Flight") were unanimous for best actor, a category most have thought was being led by Daniel Day Lewis' "Lincoln" portrayal;
- Nobody was unanimous among the Best Actresses, but a couple of my faves, Marion Cotillard ("Rust and Bone") and Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings") were listed on two;
- Best supporting unanimity for the actor went to the estimable Philip Seymour Hoffman ("The Master") and Tommy Lee Jones ("Lincoln");
- Amy Adams ("The Master") was the lone unanimous choice among supporting actresses, but this is a very strong field of veterans whose performances were outstanding. One note: Anne Hathaway got a little love here, but not for "Lay Miz". She was singled out for "The Dark Night Rises" (two votes).
"Lay Miz," in fact was pretty much ignored by these three guys, as I think it should be--unless we're getting into the technical Oscars. The look was great.
My two favorites in this group ("Moonrise" and "Silver Linings") were both unanimous picks for the two screenplay categories (along with "Amour")