Monday, April 15, 2013

Photo of the Day: Last Chapter of the Big Box

At the risk of belaboring the point, I will once again express sorry at the loss of Books A Million, the big box (boooooo!) book store (yaaaaaaay!) near my house. I consider the loss of a book store--even one like this--to be the equivalent of the loss of a library, since book stores help writers stay in business and libraries don't. Quite the contrary, in fact, since they give away our work.


  1. I think libraries are good for writers. Nearly every book I've bought has been due to discovering the author in the library. They only have a limited number of copies so if a book's hot it's going to sell regardless of library check-outs.

    I'm also guessing that you, like most writers, have spent a lot of time in libraries. So many great literary minds would have gone to waste without a library to spur their growth.

  2. Dusty: I've never checked a book out of a library. Period.

    1. Wow! That's a startling revelation and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Not even when you were a kid in school?

      I'll add one more think to my argument. I know not every library is like this, but mine is frequented by very low income families. Usually they bring their kids and pick out books and DVD's. I doubt they would account for book purchases. Like I say, I know the demographics change from library to library.

      How about a income-based charge for public library rentals? I'm sure that'd piss some people off, but it'd solve several problems.

  3. Never checked a book out, even in school. And yes, I agree that libraries should exist for those who can't afford to buy books. That's why they were founded, I'm sure you know. But the whole point will be moot soon. The internet will leave them with no real purpose soon enough.

  4. so i am supposing you being the open minded, tolerant liberal you are...everyone having their fair share dosen't include libraries. why wouldn't you want those who may not be able to afford the cost of a new or used book, to be able to enjoy the written word. Hmmmm you sound like a memebr of the 1% lol

  5. Anon: I am not a member of the 1%, but I am a member of the 2%, those "professional writers" who actually make a living at it in the U.S. The other 98 percent have other jobs to support this habit. I do not propose that the poor be rejected by the library, but do suggest that those who can afford to buy books should do so. Otherwise, you are using writers' work without paying for it. In other professions, that's theft. Writers earn little enough without being compelled to give away our work.