Sunday, March 18, 2012

Photo of the Day: A New Bike for Maddy


Facebook came through again. Yesterday, I dropped a note on FB asking if anybody had a 20 inch girls bicycle, so I could give it to Madeline (my grandgirl, who turned 7 Saturday). It would be her Mads/Pampa bike, so we could go riding together when she's at my house.

I had spent part of Thursday scouting out bikes and was astonished at the price (one bike shop didn't have anything for under $225). Figured I'd try to find something good--and cheap. (OK, before you think I'm a cheapskate, I'd already picked up Mads' birthday present: a copy of The Velveteen Rabbit and two tickets to see the play at Roanoke Children's Theatre--with me.)

Finding both good and cheap looked like an improbability until I got a note from Kathie Northern, a grandma, who looks like a new bride. She said she had a bike sitting in her garage that her daughter never really cottoned to, so it was barely used and I could have it for ... well, a song.

Here's the bike and a beaming Madeline. Beautiful Schwinn. The girl and me are ready to hit the Greenway. Thank you Kathie.

2 comments:

  1. You have touched my heart, new friend, as has Maddy. Enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie:

    Maddy and I have a date Tuesday night at Wasena Park to break in the bike. Maddy's buddy Gracie will be tagging along, riding Mads' old bike. Should be a hoot.

    ReplyDelete