Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Memorable Day, but Was It a Joke?

That's me, third from the right. Bob Lee of WDBJ7 is to the right of me.
Today, April Fool's Day, is the fourth anniversary of my induction into the Virginia Communications Hall of Fame, and the idea that this is all a joke has never--even for a minute--left me. There was a lovely ceremony at the Country Club of Virginia* in Richmond and I picked up a heavy metal medal (which I gave my daughter) and an over-sized, framed certificate that hangs in my office to prove the event took place.

But I still have difficulty believing it, because, frankly, I shouldn't be there. The Hall houses some of the most distinguished people in the history of communications in Virginia. I've never been an especially good journalist, teacher, essayist, novelist, radio guy or anything else in the communications field, but I've done some of all of that. Casey Stengel pointed out upon being elected to baseball's Hall of Fame, "Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in." Uh. Wait a minute. That's not the right quote.

Maybe this one's closer: "When you are younger you get blamed for crimes you never committed and when you're older you begin to get credit for virtues you never possessed. It evens itself out." Anyhow, Casey did say something about showing up and how that eventually gets people's attention, regardless of how good you are. So, that's my explanation, and I'm sticking to it. I've always showed up, so give me a gold star for attendence.

(* I pull up in front of the swanky CCofVa in my old pickup truck, dressed in a tux, and a kid comes over and says, "May I park your vehicle, sir?" I look at him sternly and say, "Yes. But be careful with it. I don't want to see any scratches when I'm finished here." He bent over laughing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment