Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Quote: Fat People Have Less Chance of Dying

This* looks like about 30 percent B.M.I. to me.
OK, I don't quite know how to bite on this, but it's a report in the New York Times today that tells us that, well, fat people have less of a mortality rate than the rest of us. My immediate reaction was that we all die, so the rate would be pretty close to 100 percent. But then I read some more.

Here's the quote from the NYTimes. You can read the rest here.

"A new report ... on nearly three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people."

So my natural curiosity sets me to wondering: When do these slightly fat people (and I'm one of them with a 30 B.M.I.)  die? Do we get to look forward to immortality? I think I'll break out the potato chips and chew on that for a while.

While we're at it, I discovered this: "Researchers at Northwestern University have found that normal-weight people who develop Type 2 diabetes have a higher mortality rate than overweight or obese people who develop the disease." Talk about flying in the face of convention.

* Now listen, before you get all bent out of shape because I used a photo of a heavy woman here, let me 'splain, Lucy, that this was the best pix I could come up with of a PERSON who is a bit overweight, but not a slob. Forget the gender and concentrate on the point: she may not die if the report is correct. And I really like the "kiss my ass" sneer.

(Photo: thefemme-menace.tumblr.com)

1 comment:

  1. Wonder what all the folks who are starving themselves (er....severely limiting calories) in hopes of immortality think of this?

    ReplyDelete