Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Class Before Dying

That's me at the top right pretending to know what the hell I'm talking about.^

This is the studious class (from left, front): Raquel Roth, Bettina Mason, Alice Duehl, Susan Ayers and Millie Willis; (rear) Misty Sweet, Jim Morrison, Betty Aliff, Beth Ross and Ann McCollum.

Raquel, Jim, Bettina and Alice hard at it.^

This is Raquel writing her story (above) and Susan assuming the traditional student slouch (below right).^

The "voice" in The Big Read was quite a production tonight at the Blue Ridge Library and we had a dang good time listening, reading and writing our own work.

At issue was Ernest Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying and how voice was used to convey the message--hope, defeat, manipulation, selfishness, cowardice; you pick it. Interesting discussion.

The group was 10 strong and I found a couple of potential talents among them, along with some people who picked up what we were talking about and, I think, will benefit from it in their future writing. I enjoyed the class and I think they did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment