Saturday, May 17, 2014

Photo of the Day II: Me 'n' Pearlie Mae Fu

That is the wondrous Pearlie Mae Fu, locking arms with her favorite baseball-cap-on-backwards-editr (me) at Local Colors in Downtown Roanoke today. Pearlie Mae was at the head of her final Local Colors parade, wearing her Chinese best, and for the first time in a couple of years was without my grandgirl Madeline in her rickshaw. Maddie has moved to Spain, but sent her love.

Pearl has Parkinson's Disease and will spend the rest of her time here fighting it. Pearlie will win. She will. No doubt. Parkinson's, you're done.

I never try to speak for anybody but myself, but I feel pretty safe in saying that Pearl Fu is likely the most beloved woman--person--in the history of the Roanoke Valley. I love her. Maddie loves her. You more than likely love her. Let's celebrate her. She deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment