Thursday, March 7, 2013

Waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Godot

About halfway through the first act of Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot," Estragon (Kris Laguzza) says, "Nothing happens. Nobody comes; nobody goes. It's awful." I looked over at my companion, smiled and whispered, "They're reviewing themselves."

"Godot" is a classic. I have no idea why because it's not even interesting in my viewshed, but tonight's audience--to a man and woman--seemed to enjoy it a great deal more than I did and all of them lasted longer than I did (I sneaked out at intermission). Just never got into it and I'm reading the final chapters of my friend Darrell Laurant's book--as he writes them--and I wanted to get back to it. Darrell's book is a joy. Godot is not.

This is not to say that Gamut's production at Community High School (which runs through Sunday) is any less interesting than what my buddies Kathy Guy and Miriam Frazier have been providing you with for years. It's good theater even if I don't particularly like the play. Kris Laguzza and Stevie Holcomb, as Vladimir, are veteran local actors who are always solid and they are every bit of that here. The supporting cast, Kevin McAlexander, Spencer Meredith and Noah Jones, is competent, as well.

This production has two women in the lead roles, traditionally men's roles, and since I've not seen Godot before, I have no frame of reference, but I see no reason the leads shouldn't be women hobos.

Anyhow, and I don't want to belabor this, the play's not my cup of tea, but it continues Roanoke's growing theater tradition and I applaud it.

No comments:

Post a Comment