|There are few stats on Women in their Underwear Who Own Guns, but the pix is good|
The story presented these simple facts:
- There are about 300,000,000 (300 million) privately-owned firearms in the U.S., one per person. That breaks out to 106 million handguns, 105 million rifles, 38 million shotguns.
- We're No. 1 (in the rate of civilian gun ownership in the world) and No. 2 Yeman has half as many guns per capita as we do.
- That said, most Americans don't own guns (which makes one wonder why in the hell the gun laws are as they are). Three fourths of people who own a gun in the U.S., own two or more. Gun ownership, in fact, has declined in the past several decades. In 1973 half our households had guns; in 2010 it was 1 in 3. Thirty years ago, a third of Americans owned guns. That's down to 20 percent.
- Men own guns at a rate of 1 in 3 (half in 1980) and women have remained steady at about 1 in 10 (though NRA scare tactics has kept that stat from falling).
- Another surprise: Gun ownership is higher among white people than among blacks. It is, of course, higher in the country than in the city, and among older people than younger people.