All right, writers, it's time to take your medicine. The fifth installment of the Arts Council of the Blue Ridge's Writers Workshops features a CPA talking about money most of you don't have. But you will. Some day.
Joe Schaben, a partner in Boitnott & Schaben CPAs in Daleville, will offer a lot of money management advice, if not a lot of money, Tuesday 7-8 p.m. at the Arts Council offices on the second floor of Center in the Square.
Joe will talk about tax and money management responsibilities ("How much of that freelance check do I owe Uncle Sam?) and will answer questions like these:
- How much freelance income can I earn from a single source before having listing it?
- Am I responsible for self-employment taxes?
- If I buy my own health insurance policy, is it deductible?
- What travel expense and mileage reimbursements is a freelancer entitled to?
- Do I need to pay business license taxes?
- Is it OK if I don't make estimated tax payments?
- What items that I use are tax exempt?
Next month we get back to the business of writing with the only Roanoke Valley appearance this year--other than last January's Roanoke Regional Writers Conference--of novelist Sharyn McCrumb. More on that later.