Monday, June 20, 2011

A Very Personal Donation for Kids Who Need It

My friend Maggie Boyes (above and right) has taken the notion of giving of yourself so that others may prosper to an interesting level. Maggie has lovely hair and for the third time, she has grown it out (this time butt-length), had it cut off and presented the trimmed portion to people who don't have their own.

Here's what she says about it: "I donated about 22 inches to Locks of Love ... The hair is used to make wigs (or hair pieces as they call them) for children who do not have hair, due to some kind of illness ... If the person or family can afford to purchase the wig, they do; otherwise, they get the wig for free."

Maggie says this is "the third time I have grown my hair out and have donated it to an organization that makes wigs. Twice to Locks of Love, once to Wigs for Kids, another non-profit. It took three years to grow my hair out this time. I did not cut it but once about six months ago, because my ends were so bad that it could not go another winter without being trimmed. The 22 inches is also the most I've donated to an organization. My previous donations have been 10 to 12 inches."

Maggie has gorgeous hair and somebody is getting something lovely and filled with generosity. That's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story, Dan. Maggie is such a progressive human being, and it's fitting that she would donate her lovely hair so others may draw strength from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!best medicare advantage plan

    ReplyDelete