|Jeff Daniels in "Newsroom": We're not No. 1.|
Daniels' response is a classic of television, beginning with "The U.S. is not he greatest country in the world." He threw out a bunch of statistics to back up his claim and I've looked for a few more. Here is evidence he is right.
No. 1 by category:
- Health care: France (U.S. 38, No. 1 in cost).
- Lowest infant mortality: Monaco (U.S. is 169).
- Per capita income: Qatar (U.S. is 10th).
- Medium household income: Luxembourg (U.S. is fourth).
- Employment rate: Iceland (U.S. is 16th).
- Happiness: Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Netherlands, Sweden (U.S. is 17th).
- Education: Finland (four of top five are Asian; U.S. is 25th).
- Home ownership: Romania (U.S. is 34th).
- Most billionaires: U.S. with 492 (China is second with 152).
- Poverty: Haiti (77 percent; U.S. is 15 percent).