Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Photo of the Day, Deux: Cornbread Derivatives

Earlier, we shared a glass of cornbread and buttermilk. Those of you who understand. And now we have a bit of cornbread left over and are wondering what to do with it.

Coincidentally, last night I baked a turkey and had a whole lot of wonderful jellied broth left from that venture (which was heaven; I used to dream as a kid of sitting down to a table with just me and a big, hot turkey, fresh from the cooker. We were poor and it was a marvelous dream).

I also had some frozen whole wheat bread crumbs that I've been saving for a special occasion. The special occasion had arrived. I mixed all that up with some celery, onions, oregano and a couple of eggs and put it in a square iron skillet, which I slid into the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. It came out looking like what you see above ('cause that's it). "Heavenly, heavenly, heavenly," to quote Brother Dave Gardner.

Ain't Southern cookin' fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment