Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Business Journal Selects Schnabel Editor

Megan Schnabel>

UPDATE

The Roanoke Times has named one of its metro editors, Megan Schnabel, editor of the Blue Ridge Business Journal, replacing Elizabeth Parsons. Parsons has said her departure from the BJ was characterized to her as a "layoff," which generally implies a temporary loss of job. According to an internal memo, Dwayne Yancey will be in charge of the Journal's overall news operation.

Schnabel has held several positions with The Times and has been a metro editor in charge of public safety since 2004, according to a story in the paper this a.m. At one time she was a technology reporter at The Times. She is married to Neathawk Dubuque & Packett executive John Griessmayer.

Her first day with the Journal will be Oct. 19. Publisher Debbie Meade is quoted as saying that "the business journal, which until recently operated separately from the newspaper, will be integrated with core newspaper operations." There was no word on whether the publication would continue to be delivered to a subscriber list separately or would be a physical part of the morning paper. The Times has a circulation of 89,283, according to its most recent Statement of Circulation.

Megan is an accomplished newspaperwoman and a genuinely nice person. I welcome her to the fray.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Dan. The latter issue is what I'm most interested in - the character of the publication (not to mention its distribution) will change dramatically if its physically integrated with the daily paper.

    I had the pleasure of working with Elizabeth Parsons as part of the Creative Connectors program; her departure from the Journal is a shame, but I felt she is very good at what she does and I hope someone snaps her up quickly.

    -- Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan - It is always interesting to hear your take on the declining fortunes of your old employer, but the obvious glee with which you report the news is starting to get a little unseemly. I keep waiting for you to stick out your tongue and sing "nanny-nanny-boo-boo" while the BRBJ circles the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris: Sorry you feel that way. Would it be more appropriate to grieve the loss or to ignore the news value? Nobody else is reporting on it at all and I think that for the business community it is an important development--whatever my personal feeling about it. The Times' story on Megan this a.m. is the first mention I have seen of the Journal in a long time. No mention was made of the collapse of staff nearly a year ago, the hiring of the people who took over or their ultimate failure. So, the news you got from the RT over the past year or so is that Megan Schnabel is the editor. Where's the rest of the story? Here. And if you're not interested, I have a good piece on urban chickens coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan - Maybe it wasn't clear that I was just trying to give you a hard time. I find your reports on the downfall of the BRBJ and the entire Roanoke Times organization to be both newsworthy and entertaining. I certainly don't expect them to provide a complete blow-by-blow of their own demise. My only point was that you seem to be enjoying the show. I'm sure I would probably feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris: I am entertained without enjoying, I guess (a colleague once phrased it this way: "like watching a snake eat a rat"). There are good people being put through the ringer here through no fault of their own. The Business Journal's difficulties are the result of relentlessly and embarrassingly bad management, following a period of seven months when Tom Field had the accounts in sparkling array (best ever), but he stepped away just in front of the hangman and a few minutes before I cleared out. We saw what was coming and didn't want to be part of it. A solid, respected product was reduced to what it has become. I am sad for the people who cared about the Journal, me among them.

    ReplyDelete