|Graphic from Showtimers' "A Christmas Kaleidoscope"|
The gift of living in a city that values live theater. This month alone, I--and some delightful companions--will attend four plays and there are actually five available. They range from "Children of Eden" to "The Cuban Swimmer" and not all are Christmas themed.
I will be attending my first Attic Productions show in Fincastle and will see the Star City Playhouse in action for the first time in a while. Among the real benefits of live theater in a small city is that the cost is low and the availability high.
My list does not include the Roanoke Civic Center's Broadway Series nor Hollins University's always excellent theater department presentations. Neither has a play this month. The high schools, Roanoke College and Virginia Western Community College also do occasional plays that are often worthwhile. You can even run over to Bedford for its Little Town Players productions, which are recommended.
Here's the lineup for December (with contact info):
- Mill Mountain Theatre's "Children of Eden" (http://millmountain.org/productions/children-of-eden/).
- Attic Productions' "Barefoot in the Park" by Neil Simon (http://www.visitroanokeva.com/includes/events/index.cfm?action=displayDetail&eventid=22828) at the Geraldine Lawson Performing Arts Center in Fincastle.
- Showtimers "A Christmas Kaleidoscope" (https://www.facebook.com/events/297330240463620/permalink/297377877125523/). No advance ticket sales. Just show up at the Showtimers' Studio.
- Star City Playhouse's "The Cuban Swimmer" (http://www.roanoke.com/calendar/arts/the-cuban-swimmer-star-city-playhouse/event_8edeea78-654d-11e4-80cd-10604b9f2f2e.html). This one runs two weekends, but the only evening performances are on the two Fridays. Others are at 2 p.m.
- Roanoke Children's Theatre's "Madeline's Christmas" (http://www.roanokechildrenstheatre.org/tickets.html). I really regret missing this one, but my grandgirl Madeline will not be here for Christmas or we'd be there. At least one of us would be wearing bells.