Friday, January 23, 2009

Mac 'n' Cheese to Die For


When Cassandra Vanhooser, the former editor at Southern Living Magazine, agreed to do the keynote talk at this weekend's Roanoke Regional Writers Conference she had one stipulation. My friend Catherine Mosley, who recruited Cassandra for us, had mentioned that I make "world class mac 'n' cheese" (the quotes are mine because I would not have been so faint with the praise.

I agreed and here's the result, a personal iron-skillet-sized (6-inches) portion just for Cassandra.

The key ingredient? A quarter cup of bacon grease. Mmmmmmmmmm. Southern Cooooooooking.

2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify, I mentioned to you that Cassandra LOVES the Gruyere mac and cheese at Shoemaker's at The Craddock Terry Hotel in Lynchburg, so then you offered up yours as "the best." So, let the taste test begin!

    It was a kind gesture, and I look forward to sampling yours as well tonight...that is if I can ward off the stomach flu that has invaded my house and taken two prisoners.

    By the way, I am one of those "smart people" who asked where the keynot is on the Hollins campus. It's not on their website and not on your press release that I helped distribute. You may well want to consider signage... this said from a former event planner... just a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes - forgot the spellcheck - keynotE.

    ReplyDelete