Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Another Set-To with the DMV (and I Win!)

It was a slow day at the DMV.
There is little that frustrates me more than trying to deal with Virginia's Division of Motor Vehicles. I spent major parts of today and yesterday getting madder and redder and more distracted with each exchange.

The goal was quite simple, something that should have taken minutes to complete and should have been easily accessible via internet. Except that the DMV's web page doesn't seem to work. After trying to negotiate it for 30 minutes, I gave up when I finally realized that no matter what I tried, I could not get a pin number, the equivalent of a password (including going to the DMV and getting a temporary pin number, which didn't work).

What I wanted with the DMV--and believe me, if it wasn't really necessary, I would not have tried--was a title to my truck. I lost the one I've had for 12 years and I'm in the mode of getting my affairs in order so I can die without troubling the kids unnecessarily. I have all my marriage/divorce papers (a substantial file) and titles to my house and car. Easy stuff.

But when I went to the DMV yesterday (the day after a holiday and a packed house) with all my documents in hand, the clerk said, "Your truck has a lien." I was taken aback. I paid for it in 2004 and had the title in hand at one point. I lost it in a move. Nothing I could say would convince the clerk, but she told me my bank (NBC, formerly Valley Bank) could fax it and we'd be fine. So I called and had the main office fax it to the branch near me.

I took the copy to the DMV this morning. No dice. It had to be faxed to the DMV directly. I tried calling the bank officer who was handling it and he was out, so I drove downtown and got the original note. That eventually worked (at one point, the clerk asked, "does it say, formerly known as Valley Bank? Oh, yes, here"), but it took three trips to the DMV, two visits to its website, two trips to my bank and one phone call to the bank.

I will mention that if my bank had notified the DMV that my loan was paid 12 years ago, none of this would have been necessary. Still, with all that, I beat a deadline today on a story that's not due until Oct. 28. So, kiss my ass DMV. You can slow progress, but you damn well can't stop it.

1 comment:

  1. I concur Dan our DMV is a joke definitely not the model for any other state. Its approach is antiquated and more often than not doesn't make common sense. Like and expired license of more than one year and you have been a life long resident for over 50 years. They have all your information all your data at the DMV, including pictures of you aging and they still say they need supporting documents that you are you!

    ReplyDelete