Sunday, July 24, 2016

Winston Link: The Artist Up Close

I shot this portrait of railroad photographer Winston Link at a book signing he held at the old Ram's Head Book Shop at Towers Mall in Roanoke, 1996. Link and I had gotten to know each other a bit and even though I didn't especially like him, I thought he had a great face and wanted to shoot it.

He asked me for a copy of this one, telling me he wanted to hang it on the wall of his apartment in New York City. I asked if he wanted to swap me one of his for it and he looked at me, bemused, and said, "Hell, no."

Link, of course, has died and has a museum of his works in Roanoke's old passenger railway station. A lot of people like his work. I always thought he was the best railroad photographer using artificial light I ever saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment