|Democratic platform committee: End Citizen's United.|
Bernie Sanders will not be the Democratic presidential nominee, but his representatives on the Democratic Party's platform committee have had a solid impact in determining how we will judge the party going forward. We have not yet seen a Republican platform (and I'll be keenly interested to see if it is even able to put one together, let alone assure that Donald Trump will read it).
Here is some of what the Sanders people made sure is in the Democratic platform--and I agree with all of it to one degree or another, even though I am not a Democrat. This is excerpted from the HuffingtonPost.
• Break up too big to fail financial institutions, and working to make banking beneficial to us all. Prohibit Wall Street from picking and choosing which credit agency will rate its products. Banning executives at financial institutions from serving on the boards of regional Federal Reserve banks or handpicking their members. Ban golden parachutes for taking government jobs and crack down on the revolving door between Wall Street and Washington.
• Empower the Postal Service to offer basic banking services, mostly to the benefit of the poor.
• Disallow corporations from putting their cash in offshore tax havens. They avoid $100 billion in taxes a year this way.
• Do not hinder unionizing.
• Expand Social Security and extend its solvency by making those who earn more than $250,000 pay their share.
• Allow every American to gain access to health care through Medicare or a public option. Give Medicare the ability to negotiate lower drug prices; ban pay for delay; allow Americans to get affordable drugs from Canada and other countries; and cap the amount Americans have to pay out-of-pocket every month on prescription drugs.
• Fix a broken immigration system by providing a path to citizenship to 11 million aspiring Americans.
• Abolish the death penalty; end for-profit prisons and detention centers.
• Eliminate the Postal Service from having to pay $5.5 billion a year for future retiree health benefits; reinstate strong overnight delivery standards.
• Make it easier to vote by establishing universal, automatic voter registration; make election day a holiday; and restore voting rights for those who’ve served their time.
• Overturn Citizens United, eliminate super Pacs, and move to public campaign. financing. Get big money out of politics.