Friday, June 10, 2016

Meeting Sarabeth's Grandmother

Sarabeth, me, Elise and Margie.
I finally got the opportunity to meet Elise Roberts, whom I have known on Facebook for a good part of a year. Elise is Sarabeth Hammond's grandmother and you know Sarabeth if you've been reading this blog for a while.

I met Elise when I was looking for somebody who knew the great Lexington photographer Sally Mann. The goal was to get proper information to nominate her for a state arts award and Elise came forward with a lot of good stuff. She's known Sally for quite a while and helped fill in a lot of blanks.

During the course of our back and forth, she told me about her grandgirl, who has a chronic case of Lyme's Disease and I got educated on that disdorder and a courageous young woman who deals with it every day. I was taken with both Elise and Sarabeth, who have since become close friends. In fact, the whole family--including mother Caroline and a sister and brother--are dear to me.

Elise, the mother of Sarabeth's dad, lives in Nairobi, Kenya, which has been a spark for considerable interest on my part and we talked about why she lives there last night. Her response: "Because I want to."

This whole family is fascinating and I took Margie with me to meet them. She was taken, as well.

Facebook is quite a facilitator.

No comments:

Post a Comment