Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Brisk Walk to an Historic Lighthouse

I didn't bring my kayaks, but others did and they saw the lighthouse up close and personal.
The Cockspur Light House near Fort Pulaski at the mouth of the Savannah River is not a lot of things, but it is at least one: a nice conclusion to a sometimes-difficult walk through the marsh.

Much of the palmetto trail looked like this.
This 48-foot lighthouse has been dark since 1909, but before that, it signaled that ships were pulling into the mouth of the Savannah River, which led to the major port at Savannah.

I was under the impression that if I walked far enough--and fast enough to avoid the dive-bomber-sized mosquitoes--I could get to the base of the lighthouse for some good photos. Wrong. I got within about 100 yards and the land ended. I wasn't in a swimming mood and didn't have my kayak, so I had to be satisfied with a good hike, a good sweat and a good view.

Here's the hike and the view.

The old lighthouse is gorgeous from any angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment