Saturday, May 28, 2016

And a Graduation for Everything

Me, the graduate.
I guess it's harmless enough, these little graduation-ette celebrations that I'm seeing all over the internet. In the past few days, I've seen photos from graduations from college, high school--traditional stuff--junior high, middle school, 7th, 6th, 5th and 1st grades, kindergarten and pre-kindergarten.*

That's a lot of graduating and I'm wondering if this is cap and gown industry-driven, or if we are so in need of a celebration that we'll take just about anything.

I'm not complaining here, just observing. It's a lot like competitive sports, which these days presents "certificates of participation" to everybody in lieu of trophies for the winners. Recognize them all for everything, lest they should develop serious emotional problems.

Hmmmmm. Go figure.

(*I have graduated from sailing school and survival school, but not from college.)

No comments:

Post a Comment