Saturday, May 21, 2016

An Interesting Stop by the Zoo

Susan and I looking in on an otter. We couldn't find the old boy.
This vulture was happy to see me.
My friend Susan and I broke away from Local Colors earlier today to run up to the Mill Mountain Zoo where my young buddy Sarabeth Rose Hammond was to be having an expo of her paintings.

Alas, Sarabeth couldn't make it because of unplanned challenges, and Susan and I were left to reluctantly tour the zoo. Neither of us is big on zoos and the Mill Mountain version is a good reason. It strikes me that this is cruelty to
animals that goes largely unnoticed.  The animals in cages are not anything remotely resembling their relatives in the wild and they have been totally stripped of any dignity and generally any reason to live. Their souls are dead.

This poor lynx paced nervously.
I have a lot of difficulty oohing and aahing at animals too bored and too defeated to have a light in their eyes.

Anyhow, it was nice to spend a little time with my friend and I would have loved to have seen Sarabeth's work, but it has been re-scheduled for June.

And this cougar seemed to have given up.
This bird makes up for not flying by preening.

No comments:

Post a Comment