Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Hybrid Tomato Haul from a Neighbor

Tom Ryder and I picking over his heirloom tomatoes.
This is my take.
My Facebook pal Thomas Ryder responded to a cry from me for some good hybrid tomatoes this week with an offer of his home-growns for a buck a pot. That sounded just about perfect to me, so I drove over to his house in Roanoke's North Lakes today and picked out varieties I've never heard of.

They look great and Tom swears by them. He is a retired school teacher who loves to sit in his garage (where his plants and grow-lights live) and put seeds into containers while listening to the Salem Red Sox on the radio.

I'll be putting the tomatoes into the ground probably tomorrow and I'm eagerly awaiting some peppers and other plants when they're ready.
The grow light is getting these boys ready.
Trays of nearly-ready tomatoes in Tom's Garage.
(Top photo: Margie Herring, my sweetie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment