Saturday, March 19, 2016

Learning Fatherhood from My Role Model

My boy and me in 1991.
Evan, my boy.
My daughter-in-law tells me that today is Father's Day in Europe and I get to wish my son a one. He's the father in this pairing. I never was much good at it (though I'm a pretty damn good Pampa).

When Evan was growing up, I was too much into my alcohol addiction to be much of a dad. To his great credit, he never seemed to let my alcoholism bother him. He stuck with me through thin and thinner, always patient, always supportive when I could not be the adult in the relationship.

Today, he is the kind of father I would have like to have been: one who is attentive, loving, sometimes stern, supportive and a guy who understands the term "father" in all its iterations.

Evan's own courage and conviction, his integrity and willingness to do what it takes to be a good man have always impressed me. He is a role model for me.

Ev and me on McAfee's knob. He was about 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment